Parking Tickets

Upon Receiving your Parking Ticket

The parking ticket you received includes a court date and time. You must decide how you want to plea to the violation(s) you have been cited for by the time of your court date. You have two options for addressing the Parking Ticket:

Option Number 1: Plea of Responsible (Guilty)

The word "Responsible" is used with civil violations while the word "Guilty" is used with criminal violations.

  • This plea means that you agree you committed the violation stated and will pay the full fine listed on the ticket.
  • Pay the amount of the fine by mail or in person on or before your Court date.

Option Number 2: Plea of Not Responsible (Not Guilty)

This plea means that you deny that you committed the violation stated on the ticket and that the State must prove its charges against you at a hearing.

If you received a ticket with more than one charge, you will need to enter a plea for each charge. You are not required to enter the same plea for all charges.

Hearing Request

To request a Hearing by mail, complete the Hearing Request located in the information envelope provided by the officer or appear in Court on or before your assigned date to have your complaint set for a hearing.

  • If you request a hearing, it will be scheduled about four weeks from the date your request was received.
  • You may be represented by an attorney or you may present your own case at your hearing. If you decide to have an attorney represent you, you must notify the Court in writing at least 10 days prior to your hearing. You cannot be represented by someone who is not an attorney.
  • A hearing is similar to a trial, but there will be no prosecutor present to represent the State. The State's witnesses will testify first. After each witness has testified, you will have an opportunity to ask the witness questions. After the State's witnesses have testified, you may present your case. You may call other witnesses who know something about the incident to testify for you. You may testify on your own behalf. In addition, you may present other evidence such as documents, photographs, etc. The Hearing Officer or Judge may also question you, the police officer, and other witnesses, to find out what happened. The burden of proof required for a Hearing Officer or Judge to make a finding of responsible is preponderance of the evidence. The Hearing Officer or Judge will listen to the facts presented at your hearing and decide whether it is more probable or not that you committed the civil violation alleged on your complaint.
  • If you are found "responsible", the Hearing Officer or Judge will indicate what your penalty will be. This penalty may be different from the amount listed on the fine schedule given to you by the Police Officer. If the Hearing Officer or Judge's sentence includes a fine, payment in full is expected on the day of sentencing. Payment may be made by cash, check, or money order. If you meet certain financial requirements, you may be allowed some time to pay. However, a time payment fee will be added to the amount that you owe.

If you Fail to Pay your Fine or Appear for your Court Date

If you fail to appear on your assigned Court date, or fail to comply with the Hearing Officer/Judge's sentencing requirements, a default judgment of responsible will be imposed. For civil traffic violations, the Court will notify the Motor Vehicle Department that you are in default. They will suspend your driver's license and/or your privilege to drive.

If your driver's license or privilege to drive is suspended as the result of a default judgment, you will be required to pay the fine, a default fee, and additional fees to the Motor Vehicle Department in order to have your driver's license or privilege to drive reinstated. If you drive while your license or privilege to drive is suspended, you will be subject to criminal penalties and additional sanctions.

In addition, for all Civil violations for which a default judgment has been imposed, the Court may notify a credit bureau of any outstanding and delinquent balances, notify the Arizona Department of Revenue to attach your tax refunds, and take any other legally appropriate collection action against you, your income, or your property. If the Court refers your account to a collection agency or the Arizona Department of Revenue, additional collection fees will be added to your account balance.

Your Right to Appeal

You have the right to appeal a final decision of this Court by filing a Notice of Appeal within fourteen (14) calendar days of the judgment of responsible. You are not required to pay the fine or post the bond to exercise your right to appeal. However, if you choose not to pay the fine or post the bond on the day the final judgment is entered or make arrangements to pay with the Court, the Court will enter a default judgment against you and additional fees will be assessed.

An appeal is a legal process in which a higher court (Maricopa County Superior Court) reviews the decision of a lower court (Paradise Valley Municipal Court) based on the audio record of your hearing. An appeal is not a retrial of your case and you cannot present new evidence or testimony. You are responsible for all appeal charges/fees.

Note: Do not
send inquiries regarding court cases by email. You must contact the Court directly for case inquiries at 480-404-7000.